It wasn't that long ago I used to cruise around with Mark in his Chevy Luv pickup truck. Being with Mark was a lot of fun because he always had something going and it was just comfortable. I didn't have to worry about him suggesting or wanting to do something stupid or destructive. We had similar likes, in fact, Mark was the guy that got me interested in photography. My first camera was a K1000 he sold me on the cheap. Mark didn't drink and we generally hung around the same people, but he was also a lot of fun to be around. He had a great sense of humor and always had a gun, cool gadget or story to tell.
One summer night when I was bored to death, I decided to go over to Mark's house and see if he was still up. It was pretty late, so instead of knocking on the front door, I just tapped on his window above the front porch. I could hear him moving around and thought, he's going to think I'm some sort of burglar or something. So I said, in a sort of singsong way, "Don't get your gun out Mark." Sure enough, he was holding it.
We would hang out all night some times, just cruising around seeing what we could see. Wichita is eery at night after the sidewalks are rolled up and everyone has gone home. It's like a ghost town. One night we stayed up all night. Bought some snacks at a Quicktrip or 7-11, I can't remember which one, and drove up and down an empty and abandoned Seneca Street. Finally we parked the car and just sat on the curb. I started getting tired and layed down in the middle of the road with my head on the curb and fell asleep for about 20 minutes. Mark said he was tempted to leave me there, but thought better of it. We piled back into the LUV truck and decided to go over to one of the highschools and visit the cheerleader camp. It was about 6 AM by the time we got there. We hadn't slept except my little cat nap. We must have looked terrible. It was fun watching the looks on those girls faces when we showed up, unshaven, disheveled and sticky bun crumbs on my shirt.
Anyhow, this last weekend, when I went back to visit Wichita, a little voice told me to visit Mark. I had no idea how I'd ever find him. I tried calling information, but figured it would be futile, knowing Mark, he'd have an unlisted number. Sure enough, I got somebody by the name of Mike Springs, I think, but no Mark Springs. So, on a lark, I decided to go by the house where his parents used to live. It took me a while to find it because things had changed a bit, but I eventually did find it and once I came close I knew it was the house.
There were kid's toys in the yard and the place had the distinct look of a house with a young family, or at least a family with young kids.
Oh well, knocked on the door. It was around 8:30 or 9pm. I knew it was late, but thought I'd give it a chance. For a while, nobody came to the door. Eventually, someone answered. It was a pregnant woman. I laughed a little and said, "This is going to sound odd, but I used to know someone living here named Mark Springs. Do you know who that is?"
She looked quizzically at me and said, "Yes, he lives here."
I said, "Really? I'm Kirk Haselden, Mark and I used to be good friends."
She said, "No way!"
I didn't recognize her, I'd only met her once before, but she was Mark's wife Kelly.
She said, "Hold on a minute, Mark's in bed already. I'll go get him."
Mark came to the door... Holding his glock or winchester or colt. I don't know what it was, but I had to laugh...
Anyway, we sat down and had a good chat. Mark's not changed other than his deepened faith and large beautiful family. It was great to see my old friend so happy and his children are just great. I felt like I had finally come home and realized that there was a hole in my life for so long that could only be filled with Mark's friendship.
The next evening, Mark and I got together for another visit. We sat and chatted about what's happening in my life and his. Caught up on our religious and political discussions and vowed to stay in touch. It was a fun reunion and it seemed as though the 20 years that divided us just melted away as though it never happened.
I've missed you buddy.
Mark and Kelly and kids...
No comments:
Post a Comment