We got to Pocatello pretty late and checked into the hotel. There wasn't much time and I was pretty tired from driving all day, so I crashed. Fortunately, we were able to get a free upgrade and use my Marriott points to stay for free. So for the number of points for a regular hotel room, we got a suite with two bedrooms. That was nice.
We went out to find some food. It was late, past 8pm, and it is Pocatello. We managed to find an Arbys that was still open but only had two people working. They obviously missed the memo about college starting the next day. It took 30 minutes for us to get our food. We were going to watch a movie together, but by the time we'd gotten our food and got back to the room, it was late and I was wiped out. So, I crashed.
Next morning I got up early and woke up the girls. We drove up to Rexburg, found Lindsey's apartment and moved all her stuff in. Lindsey was all smiles. Glad to be back at school. She seems to have nice room mates. They were friendly and easy going.
We went and got Lindsey stocked up on groceries and put them all away. It was enough to get her started for a few weeks and combined with the canned goods she took from our food storage, she's pretty set for basics.
This is a picture one of her roommates took for us. Lindsey's apartment is behind us.
Rexburg is only 80 miles or so from Yellowstone, so I thought I'd take Amanda and Jenny through on our way home. Yellowstone has a beauty all it's own. The last time we went through was in 88 or 89, right after the big fire and much of it was destroyed. Now it's starting to recover and it's really quite beautiful. The road to the north entrance was blocked for construction and we only had a limited time to get back hom, so unfortunately, we only saw a small part of the park. We went in as far as Old Faithful and then had to backtrack out, adding more time to our drive home.
We got some Kentucky Fried Chicken and sat to the right of this sign and ate before going in. The weather was great, cool, just like I like it. Yes, Jenny is still in her pajamas... Why change out of your pajamas just to drive home?
This was one of the rivers. I just liked the way the valleys flow in Yellowstone. Low, flat and wide with mountains on either side. It has a relaxing and calming effect.
This was taken by the first place we stopped by the paint pots.
Amanda kept getting her glasses fogged up by the steam coming off the pots.
Very funny.
This was a cool geyser. I thought it was perfectly named for Jenny.
Spasm Geyser.
This was old faithful. We got there about 15 minutes before it blew. Good timing in a fairly lucky day. The girls were a bit underwhelmed. I was too. Maybe after all the buildup, a 100 foot pillar of spouting water isn't all the interesting.
After watching this, we got back on the road and drove 12 hours to home.
We got home at 4am this morning.
Fun but tiring trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment