Monday, February 27, 2012

Rome II

This is a panoramic shot I made of the Fiumacino beach. It was quite beautiful and imagine it’s filled with people in the warm seasons.

FiumacinoWaterfrontPan

On this day, I decided to try and take a little more time and enjoy Rome instead of dashing around to see as much as possible. It was a good day for it too. The sun was out and so it was warm and there wasn’t much wind. I found this park, which really reminded me a lot of central park in NYC. Lot’s of people walking around, having picnics, wide open space surrounded by city. It was really quite beautiful.

DSCN0893DSCN0894

I took a break here and lay down on the grass and soaked in some sun. My back and teeth were sore from riding my super charged moped over the constant pounding of the cobblestone roads.

Lesson 2: Hold your tongue right and sit up straight when riding in Rome. Wear warm clothes so your teeth don’t chatter while riding. And make sure you keep your hands firmly on the handlebars when riding over cobblestones.

DSCN0891DSCN0898

This was one of many bridges. I thought it was really interesting.

DSCN0901

This was a mausoleum for one of the popes, I think. I didn’t go in, but I did buy a sandwich at the stand in front of it. Worst sandwich I’ve had in a long time. Dried, old, stale. I ended up just throwing the whole thing away. I was warned about unscrupulous vendors, and so not terribly surprised.

DSCN0902

Another dome… This one undoubtedly has some really interesting history behind it. One day maybe I’ll go back and take more time to read about it. Or, maybe not.

DSCN0903

I enjoyed eating in the restaurants here. The pizza is delicious, of course. The dining is traditional. I enjoy this sort of dining in age old family restaurants where the furniture seems older than I am and the recipes surely are.

DSCN0905DSCN0906DSCN0907

OK, Oh my gosh… Sorbetta Limonate. Wow, this was delicious. It’s a lemon hulled out and filled with sorbet. Simply delectable. Savored every mouthful.

Lesson 3: Sorbet in Rome is to die for. Period. End of story. This is coming from someone that isn’t a big sorbet fan. In the states anyway. This was the last thing I ate in Rome. It was a great way to end a two day whirlwind riding tour.

DSCN0908

No comments: