Sunday, July 12, 2020

Project: Shoe Valet

I didn't take any in process pics of this one. Frankly, I had no idea how it was going to turn out and spent most of my time fretting about getting one thing or the other right. In the end, it turned out pretty cool, but there's so much I would do differently next time. Mostly, I just sort of free hand winged it. The idea was from a picture Whitney found on pinterest. That one used what looked like driftwood sticks and stock. So, it was sort of natural looking and a little wild. So, I went for something in between. I used the reclaimed wood from the old mantle for the platform and I used the old hardwood floor reclaimed oak for the trim around the base. The dowels I bought from Home Depot. Basically, I just winged it. Drilled the holes freehand cuz I didn't have a drill press. (I've since addressed this issue. :)
I didn't get the holes straight and so the shoe dowels aren't consistently spaced or aligned. But, I don't really care.
We finished the thing with stain and hammered finish clear enamel. 
 It was fun and I think it looks pretty good.

Things I learned:
1) Need a drill press!
2) The planer is really cool
3) People don't know what this is until they see shoes on it. I actually think that's fun. As my old scoutmaster used to say, "Let discovery happen!"
4) Clamps, clamps, clamps
5) Plane the base before jointing cuz it might be too wide to run through the planer after. DOH!!!
6) If you joint the wood and it's too wide to plane, you'll have to trim it so you can plane it. DOUBLE DOH!
7) Geometry matters...

The shoe Valet next to the coat hanger Amanda bought for us.

No comments: