Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Project : Workbench

Peruse the woodworking groups on the net and one of the first discussions you're likely to see is likely something pertaining to a workbench. Seems like it's a right of passage. There are types of benches, bench history, benches that are better for one type of woodworking than others. There are plans you can buy and even workbench kits you can order online. It's a rich topic for discussion.

I needed a workbench. A flat surface is a good start, but it needs to be heavy so it doesn't move around too much when I'm sanding, planing or gluing stuff together. 

So, I thought, what the heck. I seem to have some time on my hands. I dug in, not knowing beforehand how I would build it. Didn't want to spend money on plans or lumber for that matter. So, I started where all self respecting woodworkers start; in the dumpster and found some great treasures.




Well, so I thought. Turns out that most of the stuff that construction folks throw away has something wrong with it. Not a single board I found was straight. 
1) Lesson 1, if you want to build a work table, you need straight boards. In this case, I was able to cut out most of the crooked and warped wood and was able to get to some decent stock. I didn't have a jointer at the time, so the wood was just close.
2) Lesson 2, use a jointer when you want really straight joints and table tops.

I used 2x6 thinking if 2x4 makes a good work table, 2x6 must make a better one. Well, not so fast... It's heavier, yes. And, the heavier you can make the bench, the better. But, it means that there is more room for warping and clamping to a thick table like that requires larger clamps. Not a terrible mistake and ultimately, I'll probably be happy with it, but it's something to consider with care.

I cut up the 6x6 beam I found in the dumpster into legs. But, there was only enough for three legs. So, I used a different scrap for the fourth leg. Of course, it wasn't the same dimension, so now I have to special case everything around that leg. I still claim victory at this point however, I've spent $0 on wood!

Notice some of the wood pulling apart. Another lesson.
3) Doesn't matter how tight you clamp warped wood, it will still find a way to get warped again.
4) Uber lesson : What you save in $ on reclaimed wood you give in sweat and frustration getting it cleaned up and ready to be used in your project.
5) I need a jointer. (Update: Got one :)


I bought this little measuring device during the project. It was absolutely invaluable. I can measure inside holes, outside and depth. Truly helpful when you're cutting mortises for mortise and tenon work, which is how I attached the legs to the bench top.

Cutting the initial bore out for the leg mortise. Later I would figure out that it's much easier if you start with small drill holes along the edge and then drill larger holes to remove the majority of the material. Decreases the amount of chisel work I had to do.

Next, I needed to mortise the vise into the bench top. I wanted it to be centered toward the middle of the bench instead of mounted on the bottom. Another 2x6 result. Wasn't too much work. The circular saw made it easy.


Now I had the vise mortise done I needed to install the vise. 





Leg structure ready for the top. Thanks for helping me get this onto the floor Whit!



I wanted the vise to have that finished look so decided to mortise the tale of the vise into the vise jaw. I used a piece of scrap, of course, from the dumpster, as a template for the plunge router.


This is how the mortise looked before installing the vise tail.


The finished vise tail embedded into the jaw.

And so, this is the somewhat finished workbench. No plans, just made it up as I went along. The thing is heavy, as hoped. 



I still need to plane the top and get everything nice and flat. I need to sand it all down, smooth it out and then finish the top with some tung oil or danish oil. I drilled some bench dog holes but need a few more. Need to make some bench dogs, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I've already been using it and it sure makes some things a lot easier to do.









No comments: