Tuesday, October 27, 2020

GAS

Well, in guitar circles it's called GAS. Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. Basically, the urge to acquire a new guitar. So, out with the old and in with the new. I sold my Gibson Advanced Jumbo and I'm excited to take delivery of this beauty. I've been learning some Don Ross tunes lately. He plays a few in low b, which isn't really possible on a standard guitar. I know, I've tried. The strings turn to spaghetti and it sounds horrible. I've always wanted to try a baritone guitar. They have a longer scale (27" or longer), take a thicker string 70-14, and are built a little more sturdy to handle the higher tension of thicker strings. And they play low and sonorous. Ever since I played* cello, I've loved that low base sound. 
I was hesitant to buy a guitar of this caliber (read price) from an online outlet. But, trying to find a baritone guitar of any brand anywhere in the SLC valley is pert'near impossible. I looked around quite a bit. I settled on ordering from the good people at Sweetwater. I've had good experiences with them in the past, and this time was no exception. Nick helped me pick it, got it all packed up and answered all my questions. They followed up with clear communication and in general were just a pleasure to work with. I'm excited to expand my expression with this new friend. It is quite beautiful. Can't wait to explore with new sounds. 







*played - attempted to make pretty music and generally failed

 

No comments: