Thursday, April 12, 2007

Zurich : Schiffrundfahre

Yesterday we took the ship that goes to the other end of Lake Zurich. It's a 5 hour ride round trip. It's very enjoyable, except for the pushy old fraus who don't like it when I open the door to let some wind flow through. :)
We enjoyed the low key environment with all the retired people and a few kids.
The lake is a lot like our own Lake Sammamish. Houses all along the beaches and the occasional docks and parks. It's a bigger lake no doubt, and the water is super clean. The homes are much older and there aren't any castles by Lake Sam.

We got to the other end where there is something of a tourist trap / shopping center. There we explored a castle or church. Is there a difference back then? I'm always impressed by the size of the blocks they used to build these edifices. I'm told they didn't have the technology to determine the width of the walls or the size of the blocks, so they just used "big honkin' blocks for everything." Walls as thick as 20 feet wide at the base. Astounding. I bet the guys that built those walls were very proud. I bet they also died young with broken backs and dreams of a desk job.




The lovely Christine taking in the scenes.



One of the scenes that greets the traveler on the ship round trip. The castle in teh background is where the pictures of the window below and the door with christine above were taken.



Stained glass windows. Quite beautiful, but they look too new to be original. Why do they call them stained glass anyway? Stained glas sounds so dirty and accidental. Besides, when that name was started, "colored" wasn't a politically incorrect word...
Well, it was fun. But not much to report. It was just a beautiful ride around the lake. It was peaceful and I had one of the best hamburgers ever on that ship.

No comments: