Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sonny and Sweetie



I liked his shoulders, massive, strong and furry. His neck, soft and warm. His chest was broad and muscular. I liked the peculiar bump on his head. He was never mad at me. Always ready at a moments notice to jump up and take a walk with me. We took many of those together through our old neighborhood in Utah, to parks and here more recently through Beaver Lake Park. We played hide and go seek there more times than I can remember. Sonny and Sweetie loved to dive into the brush. We could only tell they were there because of the noise they made. Sonny was always gentle, even when the kids were young and hurt them unintentionally. Sonny would simply bear it. Sweetie too. Sweetie always craved attention, and knew that Sonny was my favorite. But I loved her too. She was a pest sometimes, but we always knew it was because she wanted attention more than anything. She was a pure athlete in her prime. She could run like crazy. I loved to watch her run. Flat out, nothing held back, she was beauty and power in a black blur. Sonny never could keep up, or he didn't want to. He wasn't competitive. He's rather walk by me than run off and chase ducks, but he did enjoy that too. Sonny just wanted to do what pleased me. He didn't really like chasing sticks or balls thrown in the water, but that's what I wanted so he humored me. When he was young, his rear legs were muscular and sleek. He rarely ran at full speed though. Mostly he trotted with Sweetie running ahead and then running back to him and then ahead again.
Sonny was known for his drool. He would often watch us eating at the dinner table and stand outside on the door step watching through the sliding glass door. Slowly long spaghetti drool would begin to form and we would all say Oooooo, Sonny! Nobody really minded. It was the only objectionable thing Sonny ever really did. He didn't mean to, it just happened that way. Countless times, Sonny would come up behind me and nudge me like he'd do so that I'd hug him or give him a scratch or two. Only later, I'd find a big slimy wet spot on my leg. It was OK though. It was just Sonny giving me some love.
Sonny and Sweetie used to go walking with Adam. He would lay down on the ground and they would lay their heads on his chest and they'd just stay there for a while, taking it easy. I did that too, but somehow, knowing that they made that connection with Adam, makes their loss even harder now.
They were the best dogs. Protective of us but tender to the family and neighbors. Often people would comment how nice the dogs were, even people who were afraid of dogs would often warm up to Sonny and Sweetie because of their tender, quiet and gentle natures.
I liked Sonny's paws. As big as the palm of my hand, rough on the bottoms and surprisingly tender on the tops. As they aged Sonny and Sweetie's fur got more and more grey.
They were a part of our lives for 15 years. Tyson was a toddler. Sarah, Jenny and Amanda not even born yet. They were there at the family campouts, hikes, walks around the neighborhood, around the yard and in the house.
I will miss the touch of their fur, the tap of their tails on my legs and even the slimy wet spots on my pants.
They were the best dogs. Loving, patient and forgiving.
Goodbye Sonny and Sweetie.
You were the best

No comments: