So, this isn't something that happens every day. This morning on my ride into work I hit a deer. While just entering the onramp to I-90 from Issaquah, I saw the deer crouching down behind the jersey barrier (The angular concrete barriers on the freeways) on the right side just in front of me. . I could see it was about to jump and braced for the worst. The deer couldn't have timed it any better. I applied my brakes and fortunately I wasn't going more than about 25 MPH. Within about 10 feet I was able to brake to around 10 MPH where I hit the deer. I was afraid that the deer would go over my windshield and take me out, but fortunately, at the point of impact the deer was crouching down again getting ready to jump again. My front tire hit it towards the back of the ribs, right in front of his rear leg. My back tire was probably off the ground at this point. Fortunately, there were no other cars around, owing to the early hour. (5:30) The dear spun around 180 degrees, legs splayed out in all directions. Looked a little like bambi on ice. Then it hopped back up and went on it's merry way. I was able to hold it all together fortunately and upon stopping to inspect my rig, found no more damage than a few deer hairs on my front fender.
It was a gentle reminder and a tender mercy all wrapped up in one little bundle.
No comments:
Post a Comment