Thursday, April 07, 2011

England – Day 2

Having a weekend in England, after a night of much needed sleep at the Holiday Inn, Stonehenge, I decided to head down to Cornwall. I’d heard good things about it and after all, it’s an Extreme Point for England. Some people collect coins, shot glasses or stamps. I like to collect land mass extreme points. So far I’ve got a good start. I really should blog on this sometime. It’s something I used to do without a lot of intent. I would just sort of be drawn to a place on the map that was land’s end. A few you might be familiar with are Key West, Eastport, Maine, Tignish, Prince Edward Island, Montauk, Long Island, New York, and Cape Flattery, Washington. I’m not anal about getting to the exact geographical, GPS verified, extreme point. Close is good enough. Anyway, Cornwall, is an area of England that juts out into the English channel on the southwest corner, here:

Map picture

This is what lands end looks like in Cornwall:

LandsEndCornwallW

And this is yours truly wishing you were here witnessing it with me. Notice the Lighthouse in the background?

KirkLandsEndCornwallW

A closer look at the lighthouse.

CornwallLighthouseFlowers

This was a little farmhouse that’s situated right on the cliffs and at least 200 years old. It’s now preserved as a relic.

CornwallLandsendFarmhouseW

Not far from this, a little to the north is Penzance. I finally know where Penzance is. There were lot’s of references to Pirates. I was tempted to stay at the Pirates Inn, right near Penzance. But, the looks of the place and my desire to push on a little more inland while there was still some light, left me moving onto a little Inn I found in Lifton.

ArundellArmsEntrance

Lifton is a cool little town and like most little towns in England it has a history, (This is a plaque that’s posted on the wall of the Inn.)

TrafalgarWayW

a very old church,

LiftonChurch

a bar complete with live folk singers,

LiftonBar

a lounge complete with creaky chairs,

LiftonLounge

a cow feed station,

LiftonHayFeed

and a view.

LiftonView

What’s cool is, I took all these pictures from within 100 feet of each other.

Finally, here’s my room key. Notice anything interesting about it?

ArundellArmsKey

I wish I had more time to spend here. After skipping a traditional English breakfast and opting for the more familiar cold cereal (was suffering from lingering stomach issues), I hopped in my rented car and headed back toward London. Next stop, Windsor.

No comments: