I've been learning about modes in music, how they relate to scales, how keys work, the major scale, minor scale, Ionian and Aeolian, etc. Had this like, total epiphany this morning. I won't bore my audience of two or three with too much detail, but it became clear to me just how important the tonic is in music and how important the first note, the tonic, really is. It never made logical sense to me. But as I studied modes, it became clear that the degree you start on in the key really makes for a whole different sound. And, what's more, the minor is just the major started on the 6th degree. All modes relate to the almighty major scale. I was trying to understand why if I start on the second note in the pentatonic it's the major (ionian) and if I start on the first note, it's the minor (aeolian) scale. Then it occurred to me that the first note is the sixth which is just a third away from the second or tonal note of the major pentatonic. Cool right!?
Anyway, so, I'm in the middle of the epiphany and I think, who can I tell that would get this. So, I have a friend who has a website where he arranges music and then shares the arrangements and his recordings of him playing it. We've gotten to know each other over the years. I text him out of the blue and tell him, "Dude, I've had a music breakthrough." We catch up on some things and then talk about it. Then, he goes on to explain more and even records a couple of videos to explain the concepts and how the tonic plays such an important role in improvisation as well and how to resolve a lick to the root of the 1, 4, 5 chords. So cool!
Music is cool. Guitars are amazing musical instruments. Friends are the best.
Anyway, so, I'm in the middle of the epiphany and I think, who can I tell that would get this. So, I have a friend who has a website where he arranges music and then shares the arrangements and his recordings of him playing it. We've gotten to know each other over the years. I text him out of the blue and tell him, "Dude, I've had a music breakthrough." We catch up on some things and then talk about it. Then, he goes on to explain more and even records a couple of videos to explain the concepts and how the tonic plays such an important role in improvisation as well and how to resolve a lick to the root of the 1, 4, 5 chords. So cool!
Music is cool. Guitars are amazing musical instruments. Friends are the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment