Having fun finding stuff to put together a light fixture for the kitchen table. We saw a light at a lighting store that we really liked but it was over $900. I told Whit, "I could make that for a lot less". So that's what we're doing. I think ours is going to be better. It will be a real beam, not a box made to look old. :)
We went to a... Well, not sure what you call it... Architectural Salvage yard I guess, but it looked like a professional hoarder's house if I'm being candid. George's Architectural Salvage yard. George was a colorful character. There was Tibetan temple music playing when we walked in the front door. George has a beard down to his belly and an old hat with a flashlight strapped to it. I'm guessing it makes it easier to see into the nooks of his massive collection of salvage in the back yard. Anyway, he was very helpful with ideas for our fixture and helped us plunder through the treasure of stuff to find this chain. We were going to do something like the picture below with metal straps, but George suggested just wrapping the chain around the beam instead. We liked that idea and it simplified things quite a bit as well.

This is the beam. It's too long at this point, but I got it home and cut it down to 48" with the chainsaw. This thing is over 100 years old. Hard to find old growth wood like this anymore.


Whit and I took it to the car wash and sprayed it down and cleaned it up nice. It's got a warm, reddish tint to it. I know that cuz Whitney told me so. Next, I'll rip a channel in it and will hide the hub for the spider lights inside so it's not visible. Then I'll run a power line up the chain stay to the box in the ceiling. Should look something like this when it's done.

We went to a... Well, not sure what you call it... Architectural Salvage yard I guess, but it looked like a professional hoarder's house if I'm being candid. George's Architectural Salvage yard. George was a colorful character. There was Tibetan temple music playing when we walked in the front door. George has a beard down to his belly and an old hat with a flashlight strapped to it. I'm guessing it makes it easier to see into the nooks of his massive collection of salvage in the back yard. Anyway, he was very helpful with ideas for our fixture and helped us plunder through the treasure of stuff to find this chain. We were going to do something like the picture below with metal straps, but George suggested just wrapping the chain around the beam instead. We liked that idea and it simplified things quite a bit as well.

This is the beam. It's too long at this point, but I got it home and cut it down to 48" with the chainsaw. This thing is over 100 years old. Hard to find old growth wood like this anymore.


Whit and I took it to the car wash and sprayed it down and cleaned it up nice. It's got a warm, reddish tint to it. I know that cuz Whitney told me so. Next, I'll rip a channel in it and will hide the hub for the spider lights inside so it's not visible. Then I'll run a power line up the chain stay to the box in the ceiling. Should look something like this when it's done.

No comments:
Post a Comment