Monday, March 14, 2011

Why don’t people loot in Japan

I found the below article particularly interesting and called to mind an experience I had on my way home in Tokyo. I left my suitcases, with camera bag perched on top in the middle of Tokyo station next to a bunch of other suitcases and boxes someone left there and walked out into Tokyo to see the sites while I waited for my train. A couple of hours later, I returned to find someone had nicely rearranged my bags to be closer to the support beam since all the other bags had been removed. Other than that, completely untouched. People don't steal in Japan. I've seen purses left untouched for days in public places. Cash laying on the shelf in a phone booth, waiting for the rightful owner to come reclaim it. One of the great things about Japanese culture. Not something most Americans or the rest of the world can comprehend.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

No comments: