First impressions of Oslo was that it was a land of ice and stone. Flying in, there were patches of snow in the crevaces between various geographical features like large hills, cliffs and lakes. Trees are everywhere and the land very rugged. There are only 4.5 million people in Norway and I heard today that they are considered the richest country in the world per capita. This is largely because of the richness of Oil in the ocean. I found people in Norway polite and a bit formal, yet helpful. The architecture is old. There are some very old buildings here next to brand new and modern buildings. A lot of cobble roads and patching.
As we were coming in to land, I was impressed with the sunset. I don't believe I've ever seen a sunset that wraps around the horizon for more than 180 degrees, but it seemed that this sunset did. A byproduct of being so close to the north pole, but quite beautiful and very impressive.
Oslo is right at the top of a large bay between Norway and Sweden. It's still pretty cold here today and it's the first place where I've actually needed the fleece I've been carting around everywhere.
The Norwegians definitely have a distinct style. Their furniture all seems to be made of some combination of white pine or spruce. The conference room I'm sitting in right now (The other presenter is speaking. :) is just full of hardwoods. Probably because they have a wealth of wood here.
I'm hoping we'll have some time today and tomorrow to get a better look at Oslo. Last night we walked around the town and saw some of the more interesting buildings, like the King's castle and an old theatre.
I like Oslo. It's my kind of place. Interesting, cold, lots of variety, good restaurants and nice people. Our host here has a home right on the ocean about an hour away. I thought that was so COOL! I wanted to say "take me there", but didn't. I think it would be so cool to have a house on the ocean in such a remote place and yet still be within reach of modern conveniences.
He mentioned they have a position open here. :)
I'm just joking kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment