Sunday, August 05, 2007

Flashback: Lake Twenty Two Winter Hike with Wayne

Was going back through some old email and found one with some pictures from an overnighter Tyson and I did when my nephew Wayne came out to visit. We got probably six inches of snow that night and we camped next to a frozen lake. On the other side of the lake was a monolithic mountain peak. I thought it was the ideal spot until I woke up to the sound of an avalanche. No, it wasn't the peak across the lake, but I started thinking what might happen if it was...








I heard several more avalanches throughout the night and kept worrying that the snow on the mountain next to us was going to come crashing down into the lake and swallow us up in a tidal wave. I didn't sleep much that night.

Anyway, it was fun. Wayne from South Carolina never did/saw anything like it. He was in a state of shock the whole trip. But, when he made it back to the car he said "That was hard. I'll never do that again, but I'm glad I did it."




Nothing like the hike down. Solitude. Quiet. Very peaceful. Snow absorbs every sound and it's very relaxing, except for the occasional snow falling off trees; we had a couple of close calls.

No comments: