Friday, August 03, 2007

Relative quiet at the Haselden's

I haven't blogged for a while so I thought I'd catch up tonight. With Lindsey and Amanda at girl's camp this week, it's been a relatively quiet few days. Jenny has a good friend that lives across the street and down a house. They're getting more inseparable every week. Her name is Emily and she has dark eyes and dark hair. The two are very similar personalities though and it's fun to watch them together. They really have a lot of fun and there's little stress between them. They have a secret place now. None of us knows where it is, but we have some good guesses.
Tyson and I are getting geared up and ready for our 50 mile hike in a couple of weeks. We're going to one of the most remote and rugged spots in the lower 48. It's in the Northern Cascades close to Ross Lake. We'll be going through three passes and walking along a 20 mile long mountain ridge on the way back. We've been learning about Ultralight Backpacking concepts and collecting ultralight gear. I have finally achieved a base pack weight of 10 pounds. That includes clothes, tarptent/poncho, essentials, sleeping back, backpack, sleeping pad and cooking gear including stove. I enjoy backpacking so much more now without such a heavy pack weight.
Tyson and I are taking Jenny and Sarah on a short hike in the morning up a mountain where they paraglide. Not a long or difficult hike, but something to get our blood pumping. It should be fun watching them launch off the mountain too.
We're doing a lot of work on the yard now. The tractor that Fran and Randy handed down to us has been amazing. We've ripped out loads of blackberry vines and cleared ground. We've cut down some trees and are starting to level out the ground. We have rocks and wood and sand and flagstone out there waiting to go in. My back is already groaning.
More later...

No comments: