Thought I'd post a few things from my birthday. It was a good day. I'm 43 now, we'll just get that out of the way now.
Things at work are heating up quite a bit right now. I'm leading an effort to build a new product in the Office suite of business products. It's very interesting, challenging and exciting. We had a review with my manager who is the general manager in Office for a yet to be released product called PerformancePoint. The review went very well. He's convinced that we're heading in the right direction and has been building support with various key executives across Microsoft. So, a few friends took me out to lunch at where else, Meditteranean Kitchen. It was a first time for a couple of them. Still not sure what they thought of it. Probably, their experience was like mine the first time I ate there. The food is so powammy, it almost over powers you. Anyway, can't get enough of it lately...
Later, I went home and hung out at home. No big parties or anything. We had opened presents the day before on Christines birthday. She's still 29. Can't figure out how that's happening. I keep getting older and she keeps staying the same age, getting more beautiful all the time...
Anyway, the kids bought me a big sit up pillow that you put behind you while sitting on the bed reading etc. Lately, I've been getting alot of pillows as gifts. Think people are trying to tell me something. Christine got pillows for us as well. Bed pillows cuz ours are getting so old. Christine also got me the next installment of the Hugh Nibley series. This one is called "Since Cumorah". Haven't finished the last one yet called "An approach to the Book of Mormon". It's a bit tough to read cuz it's set out like a lesson manual. In fact, that's what it is. It was a lesson manual back in 1957 I think. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back into the more Nibley'esque volumes. Reading Nibley is a little like listening to some crazy guy on the street that keeps talking about stuff that's totally unrelated. Kind of like free association with no connections, and yet, Nibley somehow manages to pull them all back together again into a web of interconnected elements of the same great whole. That's what I like about reading his books. They really expand one's thinking about some fairly well worn subjects.
When I first moved to Salt Lake City, I remember turning on the T.V. on a Sunday. There was this really old guy teaching a gospel doctrine class. Yes, on TV. This is SLC. I remember thinking at first, who is this guy. He seems a little crazy. Who let this guy teach, and on TV even. As I started listening to him more carefully, I started thinking, "Hey, this guy really knows what he's talking about." Only now am I starting to appreciate his genious. That old man was Hugh Nibley.
Well anyway, got a bunch of calls and emails for my birthday. Thanks guys. Those are the best, even the little hellos are great.
No comments:
Post a Comment