Sunday, October 29, 2006

Last Sunday to the Issaquah II Ward

Today was our last Sunday with the congregation we've attended for more than 10 years. It's the longest time I've ever been in any ward. The day was full of uncomfortable moments as people tried to say goodbye, but didn't really know how. It was uncomfortable to me for sure. Christine always seems to manage this stuff without a problem.
As sacrament meeting ended, I just stood up and looked around the chapel. I felt like I was looking back at 10 years of my life, and in a way I was. There were very few people in that room with whom I had not experienced some significant event or done some memorable activity. In some ways, I grew up in this ward. My kids certainly did and we're so gratefull for the positive influence and guiding hand the ward has had on our family these last 10 years. Our kids have certainly benefitted from the gracious service so many in the ward have provided over the years in the youth programs, as their teachers and activity leaders.
We'll miss our great home teachers. Our early home teacher was Lee Rogers who always came and delivered great messages. Later, Steve Spencer regularly visited with interesting object lessons. Both have exercised their priesthood in our behalf on more than one occasion, and we're so gratefull to have been blessed by them. It's tough leaving all those memories and wonderful friendships.
We're also excited to move on. To many, it appears that we just up and decided to move one day. We've actually been looking to move for quite some time. But, it also seems to us that it happened suddenly. There never seemed to be a good time to make the move, but this seemed as right as it would ever get. We found the home, went and looked at it the next day and made the offer that night. We had time to back out of the offer, of course, but felt that it was the right thing to do. Things have since been falling into place for us, and we're excited to start a new chapter in our lives.
This afternoon, a young woman from our new ward (Tiger Mountain) called and invited Lindsey and Tyson to a get together (fireside). Her name was Whitney. Earlier in the week, the relief society president called Christine and offered help if we needed it. We've heard so much about the ward and they've already been so welcoming, we're excited to attend and meet everyone.

No comments: