Saturday, November 15, 2008

Movies : Quantum of Solace

The new 007 flick is out. Went to see it tonight. It's been getting bad reviews. I don't know why. This Bond is the deepest, most real, most complex and interesting of any. Anybody remember the horrible mannequin Bond that was Roger Moore? The pretty boy Pierce Brosnan? Sean Connery still rocks, but the movie making of his era just doesn't stack up.
Much has been said of the quick cut action scenes. I can't say that I care for them much. They work in the Bourne movies, but I didn't care for the style in this one. It wasn't so bad as some critics have made it out to be, but it was a bit distracting.
In the end, Quantum of Solace was the best Bond ever in terms of the actual hero. There's so much more emotion, regret, pain and energy there. It's as much fun trying to figure out his emotional state, his motives and purpose as it is trying to figure out the plot. I didn't care for the cinematography so much in this one, although the story seemed much more realistic than the average bond. There is a gut wrenching scene of someone passing away that really got to me.
Bottom line, if you liked the first Daniel Craig Bond, you'll like this one. He's more of the same and better. Don't get too wrapped around the axle on the cinematography and you'll really enjoy this movie.

No comments: