Yesterday was clear and sunny. Today it's raining cats and dogs. There's a river running down our driveway right now as I sit here and try to focus on the dreaded author reviews of chapters. I've finished 11 chapters, 17 to go. I haven't talked a lot about the effects of writing a book. Although, the pain is different and the results not nearly so miraculous, I think writing a book must be something like giving birth, at least in terms of the way it effects your memory. When in the middle of doing it, I promise myself I'll never ever do it again. But, when it's all done and the sense of the accomplishment and the excitement of seeing it in print emerges, those feelings of dread seem to melt away. In a few months, it seems reasonable to talk about writing another book some day. Now I'm remembering the dreadful part. Endless reading, re-reading, commenting, updating, fixing, and rewording. Uggg
And so, I do things like blog incessantly, go for quick rides on the motorcycle and write nonsensical blog entries as a distraction to get away from the real work of finishing the book. See how that works? Well, that's how it works for me anyway. Write a little to break writer's block. Sometimes what I write doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Sometimes I read something a great writer has written to get inspired. Sometimes I think of something or someone special to me and that inspires me to go on. I'm just writing a technical book that a few data weenies will think valuable. But, hey, it's something until I have the wherewithal to write real prose. See, there I go again, blabbing just to pass some time and delay the inevitable focused editing sessions...
Alright, Jack, back to work...
No comments:
Post a Comment