For one of our scout activities, David Ream took us all clam digging. It was a new experience for all of us, so it took some lessons before the boys were successful. We went out with all the tools, but no know how. Fortunately, there were people there who knew how to find the clams and taught the boys. These two were especially successful and were pulling out some absolutely huge horse clams.
One thing is for sure, you can’t be too worried about getting muddy. These guys were up to their elbows and knees in mud. Dave, Brad and Romney going for the big one.
The trick is to find the breathing holes and stick your fingers down in and feel the snoot of the clam sticking up and then dig down on the side. If you dig straight down, you risk cracking the shell and killing the clam.
I don’t know what this thing was, but it was really cool. Sort of a mud millipede. It could stretch out to about a yard long. Eeeeeuuuuwww.
Romney going for the clam. David in the background.
I didn’t get any clams. I didn’t get muddy either. I had fun watching others and taking pictures. That’s about as close as I think I wanna get to this activity. However, I think the boys loved it. Let’s see, stick your fingers in muddy holes, feel around for critters, dig in the muck and get completely sopping wet muddy, find the treasure and then pull it out and display for all to see your conquest…
What boy wouldn’t like this?
A view of the bay and the Puget Sound.
No comments:
Post a Comment