Monday, December 21, 2009

Lake 22 Winter Hike

Just found the pictures from this hike back about 5 years ago and thought I’d post them. I honestly can’t remember if I’ve blogged these pictures before, but I think their pretty cool so I’ll risk re-posting.

Tyson and I decided to take Wayne (David’s son) on a hike. It was winter of course, so we rented him some snow shoes and took him to the Lake 22 hike. In the summer, this hike is a cinch. In the winter, it’s a bit more of a challenge. Now, keep in mind, Wayne’s from South Carolina and never been hiking or backpacking before. This was quite an experience for him. When it was all said and done, Wayne finally emerged from the trail the morning after, he got into the car and said “I’ll never do that again. I’m glad I did it, but I’ll never do it again!”

This was what our campsite looked like the morning after. There was something like 6 inches of new fallen snow. Our tents were covered. The one behind is my 1 man tent. Most of it is buried. All night we heard avalanches. Every time I heard one, I would wake up completely, wondering if there would be one across the lake on the mountain that would send the lake crashing down on us.

Lake22Morning-771913 

This was the view coming down. Beautiful place. Snowshoeing through the trail is very quiet and peaceful except for the times when large chunks of ice or drifts of snow fall down from the trees above.

Lake22TrailDown-783846

No comments: