Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Making Music with my kids

A little over two years ago, I picked up the cello for the first time and started playing. I've always wanted to play an instrument and I've always loved the sound of the cello. "With a cello, we could actually have a quartet!" I thought. Sarah plays violin, Jenny plays violin and Amanda plays viola.
The other night I sat and played a few simple songs as my limited playing ability allowed and Amanda walked through. I asked her to join me. We have some music that has flute, cello, violin, piano, and viola parts. Amanda grabbed the viola part and we played together for a few songs. It wasn't exactly perfect, for sure. Amanda sounded wonderful, of course, but I'm still struggling. But, it is so fun making music with my kids. They indulge me on occasion. I'm the worst musician in the family now, but I'm hoping that I'll get better over time and be able to make that dream of a Haselden family sextet a reality. :) Now, we just have to get Tyson back playing the piano... I keep telling him that "Chicks dig it when a guy plays the piano." Hasn't made a difference. Yet. :)

No comments: