Well, I'm an old trek fan from the early days. I can remember sitting in the doorway to our house when I was a kid crying my heart out because I'd done something wrong and Dad sent me to bed without watching Star Trek! I cried and cried and cried until Dad gave in and let me come back and watch The Honeymooners. That was a nice consolation after such a terrible punishment.
Fast forward to last night. Lindsey said, "Dad, take me to see Star Trek." How could a father refuse!? For anyone out there who watched the original Star Trek series, this movie is a must see. The storyline was terrible. The special effects were over done, yet it was great. The sexual energy was dripping with a nice twist. The main characters did a fantastic job of channeling the original character idiosyncracies, movements, speaking patterns, and general presence.
Dr. McCoy was perfect, "Captain, I'm a doctor not a #$%@ed physicist!"
Mr. Spock was logical, yet conflicted as always, but more real and more human this time.
Scotty was classic, "Captain, I'm giving you all she's got!"
Kirk was his usual ornery, tough, rebelious, bold, brash and victorious self.
Somehow, for me anyway, I was so lost in the nostalgia, tricky event sequences and pure action that I'm not sure I even understood the storyline, and I think that even those pieces that don't make sense simply didn't matter. I'm glad to have my Star Trek back.
It's the best movie I've seen in years but maybe not 100% because of the movie itself but for my love of the original series and the relative meager selection of decent films these days.
This is what Roddenberry would have wanted. He would have been proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment