Friday, May 22, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame...

Jenny and I went to the Mariners game last night against the Angels at Safeco Field. We went early so we could avoid the crowds and try to get a ball. Turns out Jenny wasn't all that interested in trying to catch a practice ball, so we just walked around the park for a while. Turns out, Jenny's much more interested in the actual game! Imagine that. We walked around to where the bullpen is. Safeco is one of the coolest venues for watching baseball, at least compared to the Kingdome, which felt like you were in a giant concrete wheat silo. Everything was so vertical in the Kingdome, but Safeco Field is stretched out and you get a since of open space there. Anyway, back to Jenny. She took interest in the bullpen because she pitches in softball. We were going to go around and watch the pitchers warm up and forgot to do it. Bummer. Next time maybe. Anyway, the Mariners lost again. They don't seem to be able to put many wins together this year. But we had fun anyway. Jenny's favorite treat is the kettle corn. We shared that and peanuts and licorice ropes, which Jenny tried to hog. It was fun to watch Jenny watch the players. Now that she's been playing softball a while, and in a lot of different positions, she's starting to understand the game and watch what the players are doing. I could also hear and see the admiration in the players when she talked about them. "They swing so fast", "He throws the ball so hard" or when she appreciates a good slide. Pure fun!
After the game we had a bit of a scare. Jenny needed to go to the bathroom so I went with her and waited outside the door. Turns out there are two doors and Jenny came out the one behind me. I didn't see her come out and she didn't see me waiting. We were separated for about 20 minutes and I couldn't find her. After alerting the police and security and anyone else I could talk to, Jenny came walking back into the stadium after walking to the car and around the park for a while. We were both a little shaken, but soon shook it off and went home.

No comments: