Monday, June 17, 2019

Dad died

Dad died this morning.
He was a good man I loved
Rest In Peace father.

He had a great sense of humor, a tender heart, a unique vulnerability, a quick mind and genius capacity for all things mechanical and electrical. He once fixed a carburetor with a balloon. He carved a perfect model airplane for me free handed. He was an amazing story and joke teller. Dad was a study in contradictions. Extremely likable and a natural born leader, he nonetheless struggled with loneliness and career. He loved mom immensely, but struggled for years with how to create a healthy relationship with her. Dad loved sports, but rarely played. Dad didn’t finish high school but was one of the smartest people I know.

When I was young, he would play, wrestle and chase us around on the floor. But he had a mean grip on the belt. Some of it, I deserved. Some of it, not so much. He grew up in a different world. He loved all his uncles and missed them immensely. It was the old south then. He changed his stars. It’s not where you are that counts, but how far you’ve come. Dad came a long way. Bootstrapped his education while raising 6 kids. 20 years in the Air Force. He missed it when he left.

He was an amazing Rook player, even as good as mom, without cheating. :) I always loved being his partner. He made me better, and more importantly, he always, always made me laugh.

I knew he loved me. Not becaus he said it all the time, though he said it often enough. No, I knew he loved me because he picked on me.

I’ve missed you for so long Dad. My real dad. The one who I knew so long before the tough years of distance and duplicity. The one who watched football games with me and taught me how to curve a frisbee.

Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you.


No comments: