I thought I’d say something about Guitar Kamp I’m attending.
Yes, Guitar ‘K’amp. Steve Kaufman puts this thing on every year and this is the 24th one. He starts most words that usually begin with a ‘C’ with a ‘K’. Haven’t quite figured out why yet. :)
This has been an amazing experience. Inspiring, memorable, encouraging, and fun. Yeah, it’s like band camp. I’m stayin’ in a dorm room with my room mate and new buddy Matt Butzlaff. He just walked back in telling me about an ad hoc 30 minute lesson he had with Steve Kaufman. He just had a 30 minute ad hoc lesson with the three time national champion! I’m geeking out here!
First, the instructors here are legendary. I do NOT use that word lightly. Guitar gods as they say. Dan Crary, one of the original American fathers of flat-picking, one might call him the professor of guitar. Well, cuz he’s a retired professor and one of the amazing originators of flat-picking, perhaps the last remaining grandfathers of flat-picking the likes of Doc Watson, Bill Monroe et al. His class was a realization of the conceptual ideas I’ve been learning about how to learn music by ear. SO cool.
Ross Martin, somewhat new on the scene relative to Dan, his touch with the guitar is sweeter than Vermont maple syrup. There’s some sort of neural leap that happens when you listen to his music that bridges the sensory gap and creates sound sweetness on the tastebuds.
Steve Kaufman, the only three time winner of of the national flat-picking contest in Winfield, KS.
Nuff Said!
Beppe Gambetta is amazing. He taught about breaking down barriers of musical orthodoxy and exploring tunes that have endured the test of time. He taught us about tunes that are hundreds of years old and how to make them your own. He’s the grandfather of European flat-picking.
Mark Cosgrove, Tyler Grant, both National flat-picking champions. Grant Gordy, phenomenal guitarists all.
Food is great, lessons are valuable. Company of friends.
I’d write more but there’s guitarin’ to do.
Can you find me in there? I’m to the right of Matt with the A cap.
Yes, Guitar ‘K’amp. Steve Kaufman puts this thing on every year and this is the 24th one. He starts most words that usually begin with a ‘C’ with a ‘K’. Haven’t quite figured out why yet. :)
This has been an amazing experience. Inspiring, memorable, encouraging, and fun. Yeah, it’s like band camp. I’m stayin’ in a dorm room with my room mate and new buddy Matt Butzlaff. He just walked back in telling me about an ad hoc 30 minute lesson he had with Steve Kaufman. He just had a 30 minute ad hoc lesson with the three time national champion! I’m geeking out here!
First, the instructors here are legendary. I do NOT use that word lightly. Guitar gods as they say. Dan Crary, one of the original American fathers of flat-picking, one might call him the professor of guitar. Well, cuz he’s a retired professor and one of the amazing originators of flat-picking, perhaps the last remaining grandfathers of flat-picking the likes of Doc Watson, Bill Monroe et al. His class was a realization of the conceptual ideas I’ve been learning about how to learn music by ear. SO cool.
Ross Martin, somewhat new on the scene relative to Dan, his touch with the guitar is sweeter than Vermont maple syrup. There’s some sort of neural leap that happens when you listen to his music that bridges the sensory gap and creates sound sweetness on the tastebuds.
Steve Kaufman, the only three time winner of of the national flat-picking contest in Winfield, KS.
Nuff Said!
Beppe Gambetta is amazing. He taught about breaking down barriers of musical orthodoxy and exploring tunes that have endured the test of time. He taught us about tunes that are hundreds of years old and how to make them your own. He’s the grandfather of European flat-picking.
Mark Cosgrove, Tyler Grant, both National flat-picking champions. Grant Gordy, phenomenal guitarists all.
Food is great, lessons are valuable. Company of friends.
I’d write more but there’s guitarin’ to do.
Can you find me in there? I’m to the right of Matt with the A cap.

No comments:
Post a Comment