I had a presentation at work with my General Manager, VP and the CFO and so dressed up a bit with a Microsoft shirt. Later I walked into a Fat Burger for a hamburger.
The guy at the register took my order and then asked my name.
"Socrates" I said.
He said, "What?"
I said "Socrates"
He said "Socra what? Can you spell that?"
I said, "Sure, S O C R A T E S"
He looked confused and wrote something down.
"You work for Microsoft?"
"Yes"
"Oh!... What do you do there?"
"I'm a..." Always hesitate here cuz I hate getting into these conversations.
"I'm an architect"
"Oh, really?"
He looked confused, so I said, "A software architect"
That seemed to help. A little light went on behind his eyes.
He said "Cool, I bought a Zune!" He pulls it out of his back pocket to show it to me.
"Here we go..." I thought and said, "Oh, that's nice"
Whereupon he began to explain everything he liked and disliked about it.
"Yeah, when I first hooked it up it started synching right up but then it started deleting some of my MP3s and I figured out that I had to change the setting to keep it from deleting my existing MP3 files"
"Oh" I said. Trying to appear non-interested without being rude.
He asked, "Why did they set it up that way?" as he followed me to where I was seated.
"I dunno" I said.
"You mean, you didn't work on Zune?"
"Nope, in fact, you probably heard about Zune before I did. In fact, you probably know more about Zune than I do."
To that, he looked totally disappointed. Then he said in a doubtful voice "Really? No, really?"
"Yep"
He walked away looking either mad, disappointed or doubtful, I couldn't tell.
This is pretty typical. When folks find out that I work at Microsoft, they sometimes start asking me questions about the software as though I'm an expert in everything that Microsoft sells. Truth is, when there's a problem with Windows, or Office or some other product, I have to look it up in the help file just like everybody else... No wait, they just ask me on the street, or in a Fat Burger. :)
Note to self: Don't wear your Microsoft shirt out in public any more...
No comments:
Post a Comment