Monday, February 12, 2007

Paradoxical observation -- Gas gussling cars

I'm in the middle of blue land here in Seattle, so it's quite common to see the anti-bush, anti-war, anti-bigcompany, anti-anythingrelatedtoconservativeorrepublicanideas signs or bumper stickers.

As I was walking into work from the garage today I saw one that really got me chuckling.

But, before I go there, let me preface it with a little cultural background.
See, at Microsoft, there are a whole lot of very rich people who are struggling with their wealth.
On the one hand, they've experienced great commercial and career success. So, they usually have gigantic houses on the lake with a yacht the size of my new house sitting in the water. On the other hand, they have left or extreme left values. Tree huggers, hippies, 60's children, folk singers. You get the idea. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" :)

So, it's amusing to me to see so many of the paradoxical and ironic, nay, even dare I say, hypocritical view points expressed by my liberal neighbors.

Like the neighbor who chastises another neighbor for driving a suburban because it uses too much gas and then goes out to buy their own suburban a month later. Only, it's an older, more gas guzzling version.

Anyway... I do digress.

So, the bumper sticker you ask?
Well, after all that buildup it's anti-climactic but this is what it said.

"Expose Exxon"

The paradoxical part was that it was stuck on the bumper of a Hummer!

No comments: