Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My travels (travails) : Sun Valley

Since I'm going to be flying all over kingdom come in the next few weeks, I thought it might be fun to actually track my progress. It might also be fun for my kids to know where their dad is at any given moment. So, this is the first leg of my traveling. I'm in Sun Valley, Idaho at what's called the BICAC, or, the Business Intelligence Customer Advisory Council. It's a chance for our customers to press the flesh and chat with our product team leaders and to give input into future versions of the products. It's probably the shortest in the next 6 weeks.

Initial Impressions : We flew in and it was a little bizaare. I've never flown on a high wing airplane before and I could actually see the landing gear come down and go up. I could also see how the landing gear flexes when we landed. Not very comforting, especially after the bouncing, jumble of a landing we had. Sun Valley is a mixture of Kansas flatlands, Colorado mountains and San Francisco restaurants. The menu for the in hotel restaurants is so hoity toity, I didn't know what half of the meals were. So, I ambled through "the village" and found a little German/Swiss restaurant that had a pretty good reuben sandwich with marble rye bread. There are a lot of Apres skiing types here. People walk around in ski coats that cost more than my entire ski outfit, skis and all including the car I use to get to the slopes. :)
I'd like to get out on the slopes, but probably won't because it's so busy and I don't really have the right clothes. I'll probably just wander around on my off times and look at all the expensive clothes and trinkets. For example, just tonight I was looking for a fleece and rummaged through some coats just to see what they cost. The only price tag I saw on a ski coat, before dashing out the door, was for $1384. I wish I had a picture of how far my jaw dropped.

No comments: