Thursday, February 01, 2007

First patent - Debugging Breakpoints on Components in an Extensible Object Model

I was excited to receive notice that my first patent application has been granted!

Woohoo!

What's the patent for?
The Patent is on a feature that I designed around creating a way to debug a pluggable component running in a process running in an extensible object model. If anyone is really interested, I can explain it sometime. But, I won't bore you with the details here. :)

Do I own the patent?
Patents these days are more important for the establishment of a career, really, than actually generating income. Because patents are so expensive to process and protect (sometimes $100,000 or more), it's hardly worth it for an individual to patent an invention unless it's something truly groundbreaking or independently useful and will generate revenue. Most of my patents would be of no use except to large software vendors. Someone once said that it's a shame I don't own the patent and that Microsoft will make all the money off it. Well, actually, the patent would likely have never happened had Microsoft not given me the opportunities to work in an environment that promotes and encourages patentable ideas. Microsoft actually pays a pretty hefty reward for both applying and having been granted a patent. In fact, each patent can be worth up to $2,500. Not too shabby. Ultimately, however, for me, it's not about the money or ownership. The cash is nice, but it's the recognition that I did something unique, something novel and difficult that's the real reward. Microsoft owns the rights to the patent, but I am considered the inventor or co-inventor.

That's 1 down and 24 more to go. . .
I recently did a search to see how many are in the system so far. Looks like the first few are starting to enter the system now. It's exciting to watch the progress as they go from office action to being granted.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Afreshpatents.com+%2B%22Kirk+Haselden%22&btnG=Search

There's no guarantee that all the applications will be accepted. Some may have their scope narrowed down to essentially eliminate their value. But, some of these are pretty cool inventions of which I'm quite proud.

Thanks for reading my brag blog. This was just something for which I've been waiting at least 30 years and wanted to share it.

No comments: