So, thought I’d capture some of my trip. But instead of trying to do a day by day post, I’ll just catch up on things as time allows.
So, this was supposed to be my ride, but as I got in and was just about to leave, I noticed the 12V plug (cigarette lighter) didn’t work. No 12V adapter, no power to the camera, phone, GPS etc. So, I had to go back in and get a different car.
Was planning on doing the train this time around, but couldn’t bring myself to it. The car is just so much more convenient in just about every way.
This sign pretty much speaks for itself. I just that it was humorous. When we were kids living in Germany, mom and dad got no end of us laughing at all the fahrt signs. Ausfahrt, Gut Fahrt, Autofahrt… You get the idea. This one was right up there with the fahrt signs!
I took this on the second day. This is the Neuschwanstein castle, unfortunately, under renovation. This whole area is right on the Austrian border and in the foothills of the Alps. It’s quite beautiful and peaceful here. It’s the off-season so very few tourists and surprisingly few cars on the road. Practically barren, and yet, the weather was beautiful and crisp.
I drove over to the Austrian side of things and found this beautiful lake in the backcountry. Sat here for a while, thinking, dozing, listening and thinking some more. There are so many places like this in Austria and Germany. <sigh>
Left a space open for you to come sit next to me. Where were you?
The first thing I noticed when I stepped out of the car in Germany was the feeling. It’s strange how the air can feel in a certain place, the smells, the way the wind blows in such a way the memories come back in a rush. Germany, like all the other places I’ve lived and visited years later, has a smell, a feeling about it that gently reminds me of long lost memories. It’s unmistakable and yet subtle. Strange how memories I haven’t recalled for years start to play in my head just as the breeze blows in a new scent. It’s really cool!
I’m trying to force myself to take pictures. It’s not easy. This trip has been more about settling in and enjoying the moment rather than capture a travel log. But, I do like documenting it for no other reason than just to exercise my writing muscles. I’ll try. I’m writing this three days after starting because of certain technical glitches*. It’s been an enjoyable few days. I’d rather be with someone I love on these trips, but I’ve rather enjoyed the quiet moments of contemplation as well. Lot’s of time to think.
*Technical glitches – Brought all my adapters but the European one. You know, the one I actually need on this leg of the trip! Then walked all over Wurzburg to find an open store to buy one only to have it close the moment I arrived. Oh well, the walk was nice and the German girl who helped me was cute. :)
Then, I checked into a hotel that requires that I have the passcode for the internet texted to my phone, which, hello, doesn’t work in Europe. Then I checked into a hotel that doesn’t have WiFi at all and the TV didn’t work either. Got a lot of guitar playing in that night…
Was SOOOO tempted to check into the Heidelberg Marriott today, but, alas, this is a budget trip and I just made my hotel selection more carefully. I have WIFI!!! Now I’m just hoping I have hot water in the morning…
No comments:
Post a Comment