I had a little time in Frankfurt before catching my flight to Hyderabad, so I plugged in the GPS and headed for the nearest castle. Was a good decision. I really enjoyed the visit to this little corner of the city. Hochst is an old town that eventually became part of Frankfurt and is well preserved. It was established in around 1350.
Hochster Schloss sits prominently on the Main river. It’s a beautiful little spot with an old church adjoining that is classic Germany. Here’s a panorama shot I borrowed from another site on the web.
Here is a closeup of the tower.
And the church next to it.
The entryway, with the tower on the right.
This is a view from the yard, directly behind me is the tower. The town was originally called Hochstadt, meaning a high place or high city. You can see why from this shot. It has a great view across the entire Main river valley.
This is a detail of a wall next to the church. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to record it. I didn’t take a lot of time to explore different shots, but I did like the organic vs inorganic, nature vs man, tree vs brick thing going on there.
This is the court yard in front of the castle where I ate lunch. To the right is the gate and to the left is the view of the street shown above. The well is real but apparently unused as it’s complete inaccessible due to an iron grate.
This was my lunch that day. You got it, bratwurst, apfesaft, saurkraut and good ole’ German brot. Aw… I have one more day to enjoy before heading back. Guess what’s for dinner today?
And, this is my new friend who helped me to enjoy my meal. I don’t remember his name, but he looks like a… Max to me, yes? I would toss him a piece of brat or brot every once in a while. He would reward me with a tail wag. He could catch the food in midair like Sonny used to do. Made me a little nostalgic for my buddy Sonny. Apparently, Max here is pretty well known among the locals. Or, I could have been mistaking the general feeling of familiarity with the general amenability Germans have for dogs. Either way, he was a nice companion. Would rather have enjoyed your company.
1 comment:
wish i was there...
Post a Comment