Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Adventures of a Weary Traveler - Germany, Austria, France, India, Nepal – Entry 10

Buchenwald

I visited Buchenwald in the one day layover on my way home. I’ve written and rewritten this blog entry to try an capture the experience. In the end, I sympathize with those who erected monuments, preserved what’s left of the place and attempted to document the atrocities and horrific events that happened here. Words cannot begin to capture this place. And so, we simply state the facts and let them speak for themselves.

I will say that it was an emotional place to visit. It's impact is not unlike that of other historically significant places I’ve visited like the Parthenon in Greece, the temple wall in Jerusalem, the statue of Liberty, Ground zero and other such places. There’s a certain emotional impact that is not easily forgotten. I was brought to tears frequently as I thought about the innocent people, children who suffered untold brutality and ruthless horror here.

The pictures speak for themselves.

DSCN0675DSCN0670

DSCN0671DSCN0672

DSCN0673

DSCN0676

DSCN0677

“To each what he deserves”

 

DSCN0682DSCN0680DSCN0678

DSCN0683DSCN0684DSCN0686DSCN0688DSCN0689DSCN0690DSCN0691

DSCN0692DSCN0693DSCN0694DSCN0695DSCN0697DSCN0698DSCN0699DSCN0700DSCN0703DSCN0704DSCN0705DSCN0706DSCN0708

No comments: