Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Adventures of a Weary Traveler - Germany, Austria, France, India, Nepal – Entry 6

Well, these aren’t necessarily going to be chronologically ordered entries. Sorry if any of my five readers objects. I’m having a tough time keeping it all straight in my head.

So, I wanted to post some pictures from my Nepal outing of some people we met along the way. So, in that spirit, the first is of Ed, my coworker, friend and all-round good guy, Edward I’Anson. He’s English, don’t give him a hard time about his name. He can’t help it. I got to know Ed better throughout the trip. He’s a great travel mate, easy going, adventurous, doesn’t whine, well, not too much anyway except where bad food, bed bugs, and bad drivers are concerned… But he’s a great mate and I thoroughly enjoyed his company. Trip quote from Ed, “It’s good to get out into situations where you’re outside your comfort zone and have adventures.”

This was at the airport in Delhi as we’re about to board the plane to Kathmandu. We’re excited for the adventure.

EdAndKirk

This is something we saw all throughout the countryside. That bundle must have weighed about as much as she did and she trudged down the mountain with it. All that pressure on their necks has got to create arthritis or something.

WomanCarryingBundle

In every town we walked through there was a public water source. People wash their dishes, do their laundry, get drinking water and everything else here.

DSCN0640

I just thought this old grandma was interesting. We saw a lot of this as well. Old people sitting out on the porch or in the yard smoking. She was kind enough to strike a pose for me.

SmokingWoman

Finally, this little gal enchanted me with her smile. I shook her hand, said “Namaste” to her and she returned it. She was watching the shop which is more like a tiny snack bar for a town with about ten houses. I love this picture. I saw a lot of smiles in Nepal, but few so pretty as this one.

NepaleseGirl

1 comment:

Lisa Jamison said...

Beautiful pics Kirk. I wonder how old the "grandma" is. She very likely is not that much older than us. Her hair that I can see is not grey. Just a life much more difficult and different than ours. I don't post comments every time - but I read every thing you post. Take care - Lisa