Monday, September 04, 2006

Sarah lost her first tooth today

Was just in my room working on a presentation and Sarah came in and said,
"Dad, my tooth is really loose and it's ready to come out now!"
"Really? Let me see."
She opened her mouth excitedly, quickly raised her arm with her index finger extended and touched the loose tooth.
I moved it around a bit to see if it was ready. It was certainly loose, but when I tried to pull it out, it wouldn't come.
I said, "Well, it's pretty close, but not quite yet. Push it around a bit and loosen it up."
She walked away and in a few seconds came back and said "Dad, my tooth came out, my tooth came out."
She was holding it in the palm of her hand and gave it to me.
After all the teeth I've seen lost that way, I pulled off a piece of tape and taped it to her arm.
Certainly, a far cry from the way my teeth used to come out. Dad would tie a string or dental floss to the loose tooth and tie the other end to a doorknob, then slam the door. Or, sometimes he would use a screwdriver and a wooden statue of an elephant he brought home from Thailand.

No comments: