Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Time with Sarah

Lindsey went to see a movie tonight and I drove her there. On our way out to the car, Sarah ran over and asked if she could come along. I said "sure, hop in". We drove down to the theatre and dropped Lindsey off. On our way out, there is a Barnes and Noble bookstore. I had a thought. I hadn't seen my book in the bookstore yet. And I thought it might be fun to get a treat at the little cafe they have there. So, we went in. Sarah quickly found the kid books, and I saw my book at the bookstore for the first time ever. Sort of anti-climactic at this point, but still cool.
Sarah and I went to the cafe.
"Do they have treats here daddy?"
"Yes, see these?" I said, pointing to the various cup cakes and other yummy treats. "Can I have one of those?" she said, indicating the cupcake that had more icing than our entire wedding cake packed on top. She loved it. I ordered her a hot chocolate as well. She said "That will be good, it will help me get warm." Sarah was putting her arms in her shirt because it was a bit chilly. We started to sit at one of the tables and Sarah said "Can we sit up there daddy!?" She was pointing to the bar overlooking the large pond in the back. Later, she said "Can we go outside?" So, we went outside and sat at one of the tables on the patio. That's where I took the picture. Then we walked around the lake a while. There's a fountain there where people throw pennies in and make wishes. She pointed out the coins and asked why they were there. I explained that people threw coins in and made a wish. As we walked away, Sarah said that she wished that she had her purse because she had some pennies and nickels she could throw in. I said "Hey, I think I've got some coins in my pocket." She was so excited. She stood on the rock next to the fountain, threw the penny in and silently made a wish. Simple pleasures. Again, I'm reminded that simple 1-1 time with the kids is a treasure.

No comments: