Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Flashback : Grandpa Haselden

This ought to bring back some memories for some of you. This is my Grandpa Everett James Haselden. Grandpa grew the best tasting tomatos I've ever had. Even today I crave them.
He was a master gardener, had a fiery temper and a great sense of humor. He taught me how to play solitaire, use a bench grinder, and fish with a bamboo pole. He bought me my first ever brand new bike.
Once I wanted to grow something, anything. He took me to the feed and seed and we looked around a while. He suggested I try some peanuts and I thought that sounded like a great idea. So we bought a big bag and he helped me prepare the ground and plant the peanuts.
I diligently watered the plants and they grew well in the hot South Carolina summer sun. Toward the end of the summer, I started wondering where the peanuts were. The plants started to wilt, but no peanuts. I was pretty disappointed that my first ever crop was a total failure.
While sitting with Grandpa one day, he asked about my peanuts.
"How them peanuts comin' on?"
"Not very good. I haven't seen one peanut yet."
"Really? They looked like they were doin' good t' me."
"I know, the plants grew OK, but not a single peanut"
"Let's go look"
Grandpa walked with me to the place where the peanuts were growing and pulled up a plant. Lo and behold! There were oodles of peanuts underneath. What a revelation. Peanuts grow underground!
All I could do was stare at all those peanuts. Grandpa just laughed at me. I think he somehow knew all along that I thought peanuts grew like beans. He was probably waiting for that very moment for weeks.

No comments: